Objects disappear when off the edge of the canvas

I often have objects that extend beyond the edge of the canvas. For example, if I am making a repeat pattern, the elements hang off the edge, and then get mirrored on the other side of the canvas. Additionally, I often put objects outside the canvas basically as a way to set them aside for a minute while I work on something else. It’s important to me to be able to see the things that are off the edge.

Most of the time I can, but then sometimes the whole canvas starts acting like a mask - any overhang disappears. If I can find it and select it, it will reappear, but it disappears again as soon as it is unselected.

This disappearing act happened suddenly today. I’m assuming I accidentally toggled some setting somewhere, but I can’t find any way to toggle it back. (I thought I had it when I found the mask/unmask settings by right-clicking the layer in the lefthand menu, but both are greyed out, so that has not solved it.)

Can you please help me figure out how to set it up so that I can see the objects and pieces of objects that are off the canvas?

Hi Parsley,

Thanks for reaching out. I understand that you’re having trouble seeing objects that extend beyond the edge of the canvas.

This is a view option that allows you to decide if you want to clip objects to the boundaries of the artboard or not, we recently changed the default behaviour. However you can easily switch back to see objects that extend beyond the edge of the canvas.

To disable artboard clipping, go to the menu View > Clip Artboards > Disable Clipping for Selected Artboard. On iPad, you can press the three dots in the top right corner of the screen, then go to Settings > Canvas > Clip artboard.

Once you have disabled artboard clipping, you should be able to see objects that extend beyond the edge of the canvas.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best, Igor

I hope this helps!

Yes, that fixed it. Thank you!